Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The many facets of sexy

So, I have been pondering my own definition of sexy for quite a while now and am still unable to get it down to one sentence or two. I want to try and box it in a nice little package for you and make it dictionary material, but I do not believe it will ever happen. The main reason for this is that the very nature of sexy, for me, is the way in which it effects you (body, mind, and soul).

What I mean when I say this is that when I encounter something which is truly sexy I am left breathless, speechless, bug-eyed, awed, puzzled, yet strangely relaxed and content. How does this happen you ask? That would be why I lack the two-sentence definition. I have no idea.

I guess I should continue with a few examples of situations I have been involved in where I would use "sexy" as an adjective.


A grungy skater I saw once who started a random conversation with an older man at a bus stop.

A situation when my boyfriend walked 2 miles to come and see me. There's more to this story but it is a little complicated.

The elements.

Seeing a Van Gogh for the first time.

Having your judgment/stereotype of someone else completely shattered.

Random acts of kindness.

For me these situations place me in a state of being when I am knocked off balance, I'm challenged in a brand new way, in a kind of in your face way. The reason I can't explain the feeling I get when I encounter something sexy is that it is an indescribable feeling and that is exactly what I love about it.

Okay, so generally speaking SEXY starts off as butterflies in your stomach. It is centered around the feeling you get when the guy/girl you have a crush on (let's say you're about 13 years old) sits a little closer to you than usual. I love that feeling. I melt. I love melting.

That, for me, moved on from there, continuing with the butterfly feeling, but later moving into a passionate intellectual butterfly feeling. I love having conversations with people who are as passionate and willing to go all out as I am. Where my voice gets louder and louder and I talk faster and faster until I feel as though we have figured something out. Those are times when you don't really know what is happening, you don't know where you'll end up but you jump in anyway.

I think that is where it all began for me.

Sexy has developed into random moments in my life where I pause in time to reflect on an event and soak it up. I watch from a place outside myself.

Don't get me wrong, I also place my boyfriend in my list of things that are sexy. He is many levels of sexy for me. Not only physically, but emotionally and mentally. He covers all the facets. And men with salt and pepper hair are sexy. And so is Michael Buble (who can resist that voice). I love that kind of sexy...I'm a human being.

But, the reasons are usually the same. Michael Buble makes me weak in the knees when I hear him in concert. Not only because of his beautiful voice and cute smile, but because of the passion I hear time and again when he pauses to thank his audience and band. Being humble is also sexy to me.

I do not feel as though I have covered all the bases here, but I hope I never do. Then I wouldn't be surprised the next time something pops up to surprise me and shake me up a bit.

So, sexy is complicated but simple at the same time. It is something we all need in our lives every single day. Let's go out and show the world something sexy.

Surprise somebody.

Any questions?

Thanks for your time.

Lauren

No comments: